Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A Dropout's Life Story

First off, I would like to introduce myself....I'm Jessica Martinez, 21, live in Northern Virginia and I'm a fashion school drop out. I started blogging because I can't contain my passion for fashion-very cliché and corny I know, but every die hard aspiring fashionista has at least used the term once. On a serious note, I really began this to simply put my ideas out there and hopefully get people interested in what I have to say and most importantly to network with people who have a serious interest and dedication to anything related to fashion.

I'm someone who actually wants to get into the industry and design-not just someone who jumped on the fashion bandwagon. I can truly say that my earliest memories as a little girl was putting "shows" together (I would get my younger sister and cousin to model my moms dresses and shoes while I sat in the "front row"). I have memories of always wanting to be a part of the fashion industry and I have never lost sight of that. Long story short, I’ve always had big dreams and ambitions to pursue a fashion focused career, In 2005 I left for school in Los Angeles only to return not too long after because to be very honest, I couldn’t afford living downtown and tuition was crazy. I should’ve thought of that way before I left but I packed my life and left believing this was my only shot at actually making every dream reality.

I now attend George Mason University in Virginia and I’m majoring in Communication with a concentration in Journalism-very odd right?? I’m using what I’m doing now to my advantage, communication is not related to fashion design at all but after I graduate I plan to move back to California and pick up where I left off and possibly use my degree for a career in fashion journalism. I will eventually design, but at the moment I’m also trying to teach myself how to. Who says you can’t follow your crazy and out-of-touch with reality dreams? I’m a huge believer in doing anything you have to in order to get where you want to be, just pay your dues and never lose sight of what you want.

No comments: